Sunday, January 24, 2010

Back to school for me!

Well, I am officially a college student- I am excited and scared at the same time! This past week we were given a preview week of the courses and I'm really thankful for it. All of my courses I'm taking online- I love the convienence of it! I mean, if I want to log on at 3AM and work, I can- who could ask for something better than that! This preview week has gotten me used to using the SUNY ANGEL online network and a chance to 'meet' my instructors and fellow 'classmates'. It also gave me the chance to see one course I had chosen was not something I was going to enjoy, so I switched it out for something different.

All in all, I am looking forward to the next 15 weeks and I could only hope that it stays as easy as this past week has been. By far, my most challenging class will be English. I don't claim to be a writer - I write like I talk, and I don't usually care about using all of the correct grammer rules that I should- so, it will really be hard for me to adjust to doing so.

Who would have thought you could completely go to school online now- grant it, they are trusting you to learn and not fake it, etc.- then again, you are paying for it so if you want to waste your money- what do they care? It's funny, that I'm eager to learn now and truthfully, could have cared less about it when it high school- how times change and how you do get a little wiser with age!

2 comments:

  1. Hi. I just saw this post when I was perusing the blog-o-sphere. If you are worried about your grammar, spelling, etc., use the spellcheck feature. I use the Google version and it checks all of my spelling and grammar and suggests several options for each item it disagrees with. Then I just make a choice from their suggested change as well as leaving it the way I did it, among others. I have my computer set to do it automatically without my remembering to with each original draft or edit. It is a lifesaver.

    And one other thing I learned in going to college - make sure you do exactly what the professor asks for. They deduct points if you miss anything they requested. So when you get done with an assignment, take the professor's instructions and check off everything he/she requires to make sure you have covered everything he/she wants.

    Some courses are harder than others, there's no getting around it. I have always had trouble with history. I got a C for my final grade in Western Civilization which I did not want on my permanent transcript, so I took it over again - and I got another C. But one low grade will not pull your overall average for two or four years down that much. I graduated with a 3.875 average for my Associates diploma.

    Learning is an adventure. It is a great way to keep yourself productive and alert. Each time you pass another course, it gives you a great sense of satisfaction - another one down, one less to go. And when you receive that diploma, there is just such a great sense of accomplishment in what you have done and a great sense of eagerness to use this knowledge in a way that will benefit you, your employer, and the world.

    There will be times when you are so tired you will think "is it really worth it?". Just keep trudging along, don't give up. You are part of the future. You are going to do great things, but you need that piece of paper that says you deserve a chance.

    Take care, work hard, just keep on keepin' on. If you need a pep talk let me know. I've been through it all and I can tell you it's worth it. Believe me, I had my fair share of talks to get through it with my sister Lori, and she with me when she was going. Another person who would gladly listen and give you advice probably better than Iis Joanna. She is going to college online now. She started a couple of years ago and is struggling through working full time, raising kids, keeping house, etc. You know the drill.

    Good luck. You'll do well. I know it.

    ReplyDelete