Thursday, January 7, 2010

What is it worth?

If you look below at the Christmas photos- you will notice my daughter is wearing a simple necklace that is made with a stone that really has no monetary value- but that might as well be gold to her.

A few years ago, the necklace was given to her by my father - one day she saw it in his desk drawer I believe and asked him about it and he gave it to her. My daughter and my father have always had a very special bond since she was born- they are as close as two people could possibly be I think. Megan loves him so much, and the feeling is very mutual- it's a very unconditional love as love should be - but I'm afraid today Meg's not feeling that and my heart is breaking for her.

See-- she wears this necklace all the time- day in-- day out- she has  this necklace on- it's a necklace that my uncle (my father's brother Ron) had made for my grandmother a very long time ago. Both my uncle and grandmother have passed away now- but my uncle used to tinker about making this and that for my grandmother and others.

Well  this morning not more than an hour after she left for school she called just sobbing on the phone that the stone to the necklace had fallen out and she couldn't find it- she'd only been to one class- so her steps at school for the day were limited- but still - she even went to where the car was parked at school looking for it and looking inside the car- her dad looked for it outside here and we looked inside the house-- still-- the stone is not to be found- she's heartbroken - sobbing- because of the sentimental value of this necklace - not only because it was made by her great uncle for her great-grandmother- but because it was something her "baldy" (pet nickname for her grandfather) had given to her and trusted her with. I think as much as she is upset over the stone being gone, she is as much worried her grandfather is going to be upset with her for losing it- which I know couldn't be further from the truth - and even though I just told  her that when she called again- I don't think at this point it's sunk in.

So what is it worth? Money wise- nothing really- it's was just a stone on a piece of cheap metal shaped to mount and hold the stone- but sentimentally- it was/is worth everything to Meg. I truly hope by some miracle it's found at school today and returned to her.

UPDATE: Megan just called again from school and she FOUND the stone-- I'm SO SO SOooooo thrilled for her - miracles do happen :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment