Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter Ramblings

Let me start off by saying, I am not a religious person- never have been and I don't think I ever will be- BUT, I do think everyone has the right to their own religious beliefs and never should be criticized because of them.

Up until the last couple of years, I never thought about WHY we celebrated holidays- we just always "did" when I was a kid so I continued to do so as an adult with my own to kids. The main holidays in my house as a kid and as an adult with my own kids are Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter - Halloween was always about Trick or Treating- getting a good costume, parties, etc. - Christmas was about family together time and love - and of course presents - Easter was filled with eggs hunts, coloring eggs, baskets, gifts, Easter ham dinner- a really FUN day - so other than Thanksgiving which was about being thankful- the holidays were/are really just commercialized for us - they are not about the true meanings behind each holiday- again, because we are not religious- but I wonder how many families celebrate 'just because' - well today is Easter, were having a family dinner-- Well, today is Christmas we have to get together- well, today is this day so we have to do that- I guess it boils down to what about the other 360 some days of the year-- do family and friends not matter on those days? Why don't we take more time out for family and friends on a regular basis?

I am fortunate enough to live across the driveway from my parents - and they live in the house I lived in from the time I was four years old. My parents have gotten to see my two kids (now 17 and 14 1/2) on every holiday of their lives- we've always celebrated together, always had meals together, everything - knowing they have got to experience that with my kids and with me, makes me happy and content to no end- they are the only two grandchildren they have in the area and they have been the joys of their lives- and I'm so happy for that.

As my kids are now older- they could care less about getting an Easter Basket- I stopped that a couple of years ago- they never have been one for the Candy- we find Halloween Candy at Christmas not ate, and we find Easter Candy in July that's not ate lol - but I do miss them being little- we would always boil and decorate the eggs with dyes, stickers, markers, etc. - we'd use the colored Easter eggs and hide them outside for an Easter Hunt ( and even inside a few times when it was bad weather) - as they got older, we'd do one color for one kid and another color for another kid- one year we made the eggs into clues - each clue taking them to another spot and when they got to the end finally they had new bikes waiting for them- we made trails out of silly string one year to all the different eggs when they were really little- such sweet wonderful memories of the holiday we celebrate for all the wrong reasons - lol - but is that completely true? Just because you may not be religious- does it mean you can't celebrate traditions that have gone on for generations? After all, millions of people celebrate in these same ways, and it truly has nothing to do with the meaning of the holiday.

This year, my mom asked me if I wanted her to cook a big meal and I said no-- I don't think you should bother ( my mom ALWAYS cooks the holiday meals- it's her tradition and not one she wants to give up yet) - as the kids are older, today is 'just another day for them' - no more Easter Hunts, no more coloring eggs, no more excited faces running around etc. - it's sleep till noon, get up and get on the computer, play their video games, play basketball, etc. lol - completely different than ten years ago - so I told mom not to bother making the meal for us- I just didn't see 'why' - well, my kids heard about it and were like-- but it's TRADITION - we ALWAYS go to Gramma's for Ham Dinner!!! So, it was funny to me, that even though they are to old to participate in the 'traditions' of all the other Easter festivities- they are NOT to old to have dinner with my parents - THAT made me very happy- that made me thankful - that made me blessed- regardless of what day it is- Easter, Christmas, a Monday or Saturday- I'm happy the kids have the love for their grandparents to want to spend the time with them for dinner- I'm happy they do have the sense of tradition to pass down to their own children someday - in the end- I'm just happy to look back at all the memories knowing my kids had wonderful times growing up and hope that they have and create many many more in the years to come.

Now--this is a really long winded post isn't it-- and I'm NOT a writer or English major so if there are mistakes in it- I don't care lol - I'm just sharing wonderful memories and thoughts today!

I hope everyone has a wonderful day- whether you do or don't celebrate Easter - and for whatever reason you do celebrate it- it's gorgeous here in upstate NY today and I'm looking forward to sunshine and 50 degree weather all week long!!

1 comment:

  1. ;o) whew, I'm tired out now. he he.

    I pretty much feel the same way. I am glad for this because my oldest son, being married, now has a wife's family to share holidays with also. I have told my son, it isn't super important to be with me on THE day. As long as we see each other and be together anytime, I am happy. I'm sure when grandchildren come around I will want to watch the excitement of Christmas with them, but for me, it won't have to be on THE day. As for religion, you either have it or you don't. I don't care much for just going to Church on Christmas Eve or Easter and never any other time of the year. I grew up going to church myself, but haven't gone in years now. But I know what I believe and what is in our heart is what is most important.

    Are you tired now? ;o)

    ReplyDelete