Sunday, May 23, 2010

The fishing trip that wasn't

Last week sometime, my father told Alex that they, along with my Uncle Ron ( my mom's brother in law) would go fishing today. Alex loves to do anything with his grandfather so he was pretty excited about it the past few days. During the night last night, I woke up a few times and noticed Alex was still up playing games on the computer- I woke up at 4:30 AM and he was still awake- I mentioned the fishing trip and asked him if he didn't think he should get to bed? I never really got an answer, but I think he went shortly there after.

At 7AM the alarm went off to get Alex up to go fishing- because he takes about an hour at least to get ready and my dad had said somewhere arounf 8 or 9 they would leave. Well, after trying for about 30-35 minutes of getting him up and him not budging, I got tired of it and told him either he gets up, or I'm not coming back into his room again - he just wouldn't go. (you have to take into consideration it's a constant battle every weekday to get this kid out the door to school and by the end of the week, I'm wiped out from it). Well he didn't get up, so I called my mother, told her I was giving up on him and going back to bed myself. It would be a lesson learned for him. If he wanted to go - he should get up.

Well, my father left to go fishing and Alex finally got up about 30 minutes or so after he left- if that- it wasn't very long- and of course was incredibly mad at me that  "I" didn't get him up to go fishing- well, one, he is 15 years old- he should be getting himself up to go fishing AND to school- but I DID try to get him up- he's been angry with me all day because he didn't get to go fishing with his grandpa and now I feel guilty for that because it's a day for the two of them they won't ever get back together and had I tried harder, I could have gotten him up. Worse part is, I don't think he's learned a thing from today other than mom is mean and didn't get him up to go fishing!!


PS- HAPPY BIRTHDAY AUNT ROSIE!

4 comments:

  1. I, too have the same problem five days a week. For me, it is Jayson. I ask him daily why I have to start my day off by screaming and hollering at him to get out of bed. Typically it is 4-6 minutes before the bus pulls up to the end of the driveway that he jumps out of bed, throws a t-shirt and jeans on, grabs his snearkers and runs out the door. Don't feel bad, Donna, it will be a lesson learned. I bet next time, he gets up if he really wants to do something.

    Smile! Have a great day!
    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanna- it's the same here- I "attempt" to get Alex up at 6:30 AM- by 7 he's usually in the shower after threatening him a million times - then he sits there until 8:00 not getting ready- even though I remind him it's 7:30, 7:45, 7:50 -- at 8:00 he finally gets around to looking for clothes to wear, doing his hair, teeth etc and they have to be out the door by 8:10 to make it to school on time. It's insane in the mornings here- by the time they leave I am already tired out for the day lol - don't get me wrong, he's a really really good kid- but it's just the frustrations of raising kids which you can relate too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have started making my boys take showers the night before, because I know most mornings, it is not going to happen. Kevin, so far is much easier to get up. But, he has not hit the teenage years yet!!!

    ReplyDelete